Tuesday 21 December 2010

Playing Along

Apologies for the delay in writing. I have been attempting to enlighten my mind with good literature. Since finishing my exams I've had to fill the void with something, and the box of Penguin Classics I bought in 2007 has remained as untouched, and unloved as a...um.....well something very under appreciated. Among them, making an appearance was Machiavelli's The Prince, and C.S Lewis' Mere Christianity. What better time to educate oneself than now? (And with the knowledge I glean from these empowering Great Ideas, I shall rule the world muhahaha. Or something like that.) At times I wish I hadn't chosen a collection of books so mentally demanding (for certain it doesn't make for good bedtime reading), but it's all in the name of "self-improvement", right? Well as often happens when you listen to other people or read about their opinions, some ideas stick and others bounce right off. For me one of these sticky issues has been on pretending. I'm not referring to the imaginative games of 'doctors and nurses' from your childhood. This is pretending for serious people. (This risks sounding oxymoronic). Anyway so to sum up all my learning into one sentence. "If you pretend to be something your not for long enough, you become what you were pretending to be." Now this is pretty amazing, huh? Believe your own propaganda, so to speak, and you can become any type of person you like. (Disclaimer: Wow this blog seems pretty heavy, I apologise, for luring you all in with my jolly musings of frolicking around French market towns and now proposing you think. I'm just attempting to spread my own propaganda.)

Unconsciously I put this learning into practise. I went to London with my good friend Marketa. We were on a mission to the Tate Britain, yes we got off at Victoria instead of Vauxhall, but maybe they should not name stations with the same first letter. It is far too confusing for the simpletons among us. Fear not though, for with the wonders of modern technology (in the form of Google Maps) we made our little journey a little longer, by walking. (Technically walking, a bus, and walking some more, but the details are irrelevant at present). We managed to direct ourselves to the Thames, from which we could find our way to the gallery. Unexpectedly whilst meandering along the riverside, we spotted those beautiful shiny blue bicycles. (Yes Boris, one contribution to society we can be proud of.) Power to the pedestrians; Viva vehicular revolution; and other similar chants may have arisen in my mind, had I not already began sprinting. (The kind of running that occurs when you see the last item in your size on sale. Not the kind expected when there are 13 other bikes still waiting to be used.) In my defence, any one of those beauties might have been snatched at any moment. Students, commuters, the kindly old lady going to the shops, all could be potential enjoyment-stealers, and so I had to get there first). Then the long awaited moment came, I had become one of the elite, a member of the exclusive club. Now I had the opportunity to look as cool as the commuters, as savvy as the students, and as elderly as an old lady? I grasped the sleek handlebars, effortlessly assumed the proper riding position, squeezed both the front and rear brakes, yes everything works.....it's nothing like riding at home.

Firstly the ride was easy, and not a bead of sweat in sight. More importantly though was just how comfortable I felt. I looked the part and dressed the part. Sporting a fabulous pair of glasses borrowed from Marketa, and chunky red knitwear, I could have passed for one of those trendy, well-dressed persons, found in art galleries, and cafés. (I can see you picturing it in your mind, and yes I do agree I look so cool.) What amazed me so much was the realisation that a pair of bold black framed fashion spectacles and a bright woolen scarf have the magical ability to transform you into someone new. It's quite the revelation, think of the possibilities. You could pretend to be anyone and almost instantaneously you begin acting like them. Obviously, who we pretend to be becomes pretty important. So here's hoping if we choose to pretend at all, we pretend to be a Gandhi, Christ, or a Buddha. The list could be endless, but the magic is in impersonating someone better than you. Maybe by pretending enough we will actually achieve something wonderful. If all else fails let's face it, we would have had fun playing dress up.

2 comments:

  1. well as the saying goes, "fake it 'til you make it!" good advice for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael. I love your blog and your writing style. Keep it up, if for no other reason than to entertain some old lady half way around the world.
    Thanks for the laughs! Mechelle

    ReplyDelete