Monday 7 February 2011

A Few of My Favourite Things

A recent spontaneous late night/early morning watching of "The Sound of Music", has inspired me to think of some of my favourite things. At the risk of needing to compose my own version of the song I have condensed my list of favouritism to the Top 4. The list in no way reflects my preference for each of the items listed, in fact the list more accurately represents the frequency at which events occur. So without further ado, please enjoy the insight into my life.

Singing in my car

Well lots of people sing in their car so this must come as no surprise. I like to believe that I take the art-form to higher levels though. Singing is the most effective method I have found to prevent falling asleep at the wheel. I would challenge anyone to be lulled into dreamland whilst belting out Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You". Please don't assume that my repertoire is composed solely of Whitney's Greatest Hits though. I have such a vast collection of 'classics' no journey could be complete without them.

People-watching

People-watching is one of life's underappreciated treasures. For those of you uneducated in the ways of people-watching it is fairly simple. First find a suitable spot. Whether on the tube, in a park, gallery, museum, shop; you name it, if there are people there, you can watch them. Secondly, and this requires observation skills, begin watching. Watch people's expressions, -isms, and character traits. Particularly enjoyable is to find a group of people to stalk...um I mean watch. If you feel like moving to the next level you can even start listening in to other people's conversations.

Sitting in the shower and pretending it's raining

Bath-time is always fun, but how to make it better? Well, this must have been the best and most innovative idea I ever had. Instead of standing in the shower, why not sit down? Think of the permutations! Switch the water to cold and you can pretend you're in Scandinavia experiencing an invigorating winter's swim. More tepid, and you can mimic the English summer rain. Or, if you so dare; turn up the heat and you're transported to the humidity of the Amazonian rainforest. All of this without the help of Herbal Essences. The magic is in the sitting though, standing I have discovered just isn't the same. Put the plug in, and it's a whole new experience altogether.

Wearing pyjamas...always

Of my first things to do when I arrive home from work, is to change. Uncomfortable clothing has always been the bane of my life. Shirts, trousers, underwear, socks, shoes, and don't ever mention vests.....I think I still have nightmares. In their purpose of covering the rudie-nudies, why do clothes have to be so uncomfortable? It's itchy, scratchy, prickly, too tight, too loose, restricting, or riding up in the wrong places. Isn't there a solution? Yes! And by golly gosh I have discovered the secret, albeit the only place possible to wear it is in the confines of your own home. The mysterious item is pyjamas. Wearing pyjamas / loungewear / anything that in fact has an elasticated waistband, and is thin enough to breathe but thick enough to keep you warm. Loose enough to do the splits if you wanted, and yet not slack enough that you trip over the excess fabric. The many qualities of pyjamas encourage me to wear them as often as occasion permits. Home for lunch? On go the PJ's. Deciding what to wear? Meanwhile, whip out the loungewear. In fact the only occasions you can't really wear sleepwear is when you are going further than the local corner shop.

I would challenge you all to make a list of your favourite things, maybe even try mine. Maybe they will become yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment