Friday 24 February 2012

Fly on Your Wall


Have you ever heard a recording of your own voice, or seen a video of yourself, complete with all your quirks. The experience brings disbelief at first. Who is this imposter? They are doing a pretty hideous job of impersonating me. Granted they look dapper, but the mannerisms…. “Oh my gosh”, just stop…it’s actually painful to witness. Sooner or later, the reality slowly settles into your pretty little head, which seeing now projected onto 32” isn’t actually very pretty. The truth is…you suck at being you. But, before you all invoice me your bills for therapy, allow me to elaborate.

Our perception of the world occurs in the present and by becoming a fly on the wall of our own lives, we just notice all the behaviours that otherwise wouldn’t really present themselves unless someone points them out to us. We have established our ideas of who we are and how we act, and to be shown a deviation of how we portray ourselves doesn’t sit well. Though in 10 years, I will probably have formed a new representation of myself and I can leisurely remark on how quaintness of my former self. Goodness knows that 6 year-old Michael loved wearing his trousers around his nipples, maybe these annoyances will just be one of those idiosyncrasies of the era. You may suck at being you, but no one else is going to do a better job, so embrace your strangeness. It's why you're so SPECIAL.

P.S. This blog is turning terribly musing. I always start with such a great topic to write on and end up philosophising instead of sharing my random stories about stalking strangers….you will all have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment